BluCube Universal Fire & Acoustic Hood for 6.5"or 8" In-Ceiling Speakers
This universal speaker hood from BluCube is designed to offer fire and acoustic absorbing performance and protection of your speaker from dust ingress.
Thanks to a universal fit the BluCube Firehood can be used with virtually any 6.5" or 8" in-ceiling speaker from popular brands such as Lithe Audio, Q Acoustics, Monitor Audio & many more.
The BluCube UFH01 is a one-size-fits-all meaning it's probably the only firehood you ever need. Its also fully tested & accredited to British Standard 476 Part 21 in a standard domestic timber-joist and plasterboard ceiling
Do you need a firehood for your ceiling speaker?
Building regulations state that if you cut an aperture in the ceiling of a room, for instance, to fit an in-ceiling speaker, you must ensure that you take steps to ensure the fire integrity of the ceiling is maintained.
Not only is the BluCube Firehood a fire-safety requirement it also provides some sound insulation preventing as much sound leaking into rooms above. This will also naturally give the speaker a bit more depth to the sound quality.
By using an internal rim design as opposed to an external design makes the hoods:
- Easier to install
- The rim can be fixed using a bead of mastic/sealant/double-sided sticky tape and the swing-out dogs of the speakers clamp the hood in place
- More air tight – therefore offer better fire protection and acoustic absorption
- Twin-skinned intumescent with fire-retardant acoustic damping foam sandwiched between the skins
- One size fits both 6.5” or 8” speakers
- To fit a larger speaker the inner rim can be cut to size using a stitched seam as a guide
- Because the hood is sealed to the ceiling there will be less dust that can gather on the back of the speaker – It offers much better protection
- The foam is fire retardant
- The stitching is fire retardant
- Woven glass fibre material
- First cut the aperture of the hood to size
- Poke a small hole in the side of the fabric through which you will then thread the speaker wire
- Run a thick, continuous bead of adhesive filler (“Sticks like” GripFill or other such adhesive fillers are suitable) around the upper surface of the plasterboard. The flange of the hood will sit on this bead to create an airtight seal.
- Thread the cable through the hole poked in step 2.
- Scrunch the hood to fit through the aperture and expand the hood so that the flange sits on top of the bead of adhesive filler.
- Compress the hood on to the adhesive filler using your fingers pressing all the way around and ensuring an airtight fit.
- Attach speaker cable to speaker, insert speaker into aperture and tighten speaker’s fixings.
SPECS & DOWNLOADS
BluCube Fire & Acoustic Hood
- Internal Depth: 150mm
- Internal Diameter: 310mm
- Aperture Diameter (and Diameter to Seem): 1 190mm (240mm)
- External Depth: 160mm
- External Diameter: 340mm
- Weight: 200g